Monday 29 November 2010

Maintainence

I think it's fair to say that maintaining another internet/social networking page will polish me off. Nonetheless, here I go.


This is one of my latest photos. At the moment I'm developing a Film Noir portrait style. Because of the nature of the Film Noir genre, I'm not just shooting in digital. This is scanned into my computer from a print I made in the darkroom; thus the grainy quality. This film work really adds depth to my investigations and development of the style. Plus it gives me an opportunity to work with some smashing vintage cameras!
For those who shoot digital (especially if you use a DSLR), I would highly recommend going back to this medium, the quality is far greater than any B+W conversion done in Photoshop. The manual control is another thing. Some people buy a DSLR and then never take it off auto (something which disgusts me), but with the older film cameras you have no choice but to learn how to use it effectively. I guarantee that anyone who takes this bottom-up approach will improve as a photographer.

1 comment:

  1. I think the advice to to use manual and film is very sound. I took up photography many years ago, the advice given to me "forget 35mm use 6x6, if you have only got 12 shots then you will have to learn to get it right" Even today my criteria for choosing a DSLR is I must be able to see aperture and speed in the viewfinder, I want to know what it is doing and change it maybe.

    ReplyDelete